Praise God with us!
Rick Horne shares his gratitude towards Grace Fellowship Church, “(You have) made much of this ministry in Ethiopia possible by specific support to ETC for my housing and for textbooks for students. Both of these expenses had become serious obstacles to the teaching because of Covid and related government restrictions. (Your) support has aggressively offered to meet the financial gap that Covid created so that the ministry could go forward. Give thanks to the Lord of the Harvest for the way He has worked through you, Grace Fellowship Church, to further His work in the ETC and other ministries in Ethiopia.”
Join us in prayer for-
- Rick’s foot surgery went well—but then he fell and tore his meniscus in his right knee. He says that is more painful than the foot after surgery. Please pray for Rick’s knee treatment and his stamina for the D.R. and Ethiopian ministries this month and next.
- Rick and his wife, Betty, will be doing a parenting retreat for the families of the village church of Juan Tomas, D.R. on January 22-24. Rick will be speaking five times and Betty will be assisting him with Q&A times and practical illustrations. Please pray for Rick and Betty and for the Spirit’s ministry among all the families. “Unless the Lord builds the house…”
- While in the D.R., Rick will be meeting with three leaders of different ministries of whom Oakseed International is considering for partnership. Rick serves as the Oakseed liaison for the D.R. and Mid-Africa. Oakseed likes to partner with indigenous ministries with a gospel goal in their holistic ministries in poor urban regions. Please pray for a discerning spirit for Rick and that he will be an encouragement to these sacrificial ministry leaders.
- In February, Rick plans to meet with three more leaders in Ethiopia. Two of these are being considered for Oakseed partnerships as well. Hanna’s Orphan Home (HOH) is already a partner. Pray for the ongoing work of HOH—under a sometimes not cooperative government. Dr. Frew Tamrat is a board member of HOH in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. He is also the Principal of the Evangelical Theological College (ETC). Lord willing, Rick will be teaching biblical counseling to more than 30 young pastors and church leaders at the ETC for two weeks in February. Pray for a humble servant spirit in him and the Spirit’s ministry to these young pastors.
- Earl, the Director of TUMI-Chester, had a successful surgery as well. He is making contacts with pastors in Chester as they try to recruit more church leaders for biblical training through TUMI. Pray for his contacts and their ability to attract the students the Lord would have receive training. It is often difficult to make contact with bi-vocational pastors because of their often full-time work schedules. Yet the training in the Word is seriously needed.
- Three of TUMI’s mentors will be teaching courses this winter quarter and two of their students will be graduating—having finished 16 TUMI courses. Pray for TUMI’s students to have ongoing and increasingly fruitful ministries in their Chester-area churches.
As you pray for Rick and TUMI’s other leaders, please ask the Lord to make Psalm 119:32 true of them –
As the national training arm for World Impact, The Urban Ministry Institute (TUMI) equips leadership for the urban church, especially among the poor, in order to advance the Kingdom of God. TUMI focuses their investment on those called to evangelize, disciple, plant, and pastor churches in unreached urban neighborhoods. Their single passion and desire is to identify, empower, and release laborers who can both display and declare God’s kingdom reign among their neighbors, where they live.