Passage: Matthew 5:1-12
Focusing on verse 7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy”
At the core, it’s about being merciful, or, not giving someone the punishment that they deserve.
But, as Pastor Brian said, the Beattitudes are not a compass – how we should act – but a mirror – a reflection of what a changed, kingdom person looks like.
- How is God merciful? Do you think that’s true?
- Why is it hard to be merciful to others?
- What do you think it looks like for you to bring your hurt to God?
- What does it mean to agree with God about your sin? (naming it)
- Do you think you need God’s mercy? Why?
- What does it mean to forgive someone?
- Is there someone you need to show mercy to/be ready to forgive?