Passage: Matthew 5:1-12
Focusing on verse 7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy”
Last Sunday’s sermon was a great continuation as we talked about loving your enemies last week. (10/14)
At the core, it’s about being merciful, or, not giving someone the punishment that they deserve.
But, as Pastor Brian said, the Beattitudes are not a compass – how we should act – but a mirror – a reflection of what a changed, kingdom person looks like.
- How is God merciful? Do you think that’s true?
- Why is it hard to be merciful to others?
- What do you think it looks like for you to bring your hurt to God?
- What does it mean to agree with God about your sin? (naming it)
- Do you think you need God’s mercy? Why?
- What does it mean to forgive someone?
- Is there someone you need to show mercy to/be ready to forgive?